Sighted help

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Aug 22 08:49:03 UTC 2015

As mentioned, in my case, I usually can't reliably get sighted help.  I can
get it, but they don't want to read the screen while I fumble my way through
BIOS.  This is a classic case of them just telling me to get out of the way
and doing it for me.  Since what you describe is a real problem and has
happened to me a number of times, I make sure to have them set my first boot
device to CD when the computer is built.  The only reason why they would
need to even look at BIOS after that point is if it crashes or there is a
hardware problem.  I can say it's been years since I've needed to make BIOS
adjustments.

No, I don't feel like less of a computer user, but I do feel like the
manufacturers really need to address the lack of accessibility.  Since I
still use a serial synthesizer, if I can get sighted help long enough, I
might see if my BIOS can output to a serial port by way of experimentation.
  It's very frustrating to me when I can't fix the problem myself and yes,
on more than one occasion, I've lived with not being able to install Linux
because it just wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get someone to take a
look.  I can't believe that it's 2015 and there is still no guaranteed 100%
accessible BIOS or some alternative means of accessing it.  If you're with
an advocacy organization and you're reading this, it's high time that
someone complains to the BIOS manufacturers about this.  This is a problem
for any blind computer user, regardless of the machine or operating system.
  From what little I've read, even the Mac doesn't have an accessible way to
select your boot device.