odd question?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Dec 13 09:59:39 UTC 2015

I don't understand what you're asking.  I think you're asking if you need an
older kernel for hardware speech.  If you're using a serial synth, the
answer would seem to be yes, but there are patches for newer kernels which I
haven't tested.  If you can live with software speech, you don't need an
older kernel.  If you're only going to ssh to the machine and don't need
speech, it makes no difference what kernel you're running.  I should mention
that Squeeze will very shortly no longer be supported and will be removed
from the archive.  Kernel 2.6.32 had upstream support dropped this year.  If
you have a sound card and can tolerate software speech, that would be my
suggestion.  If you must have serial speech, maybe someone can compile a
custom kernel for you, but you'd have to do the install with software
speech, have someone else do it or do it over ssh.  What I did was install
Squeeze, upgrade to Wheezy and keep both kernels.  That way I could have
hardware speech if I wanted, but I actually didn't mind ESpeak for the few
times I actually sat at the machine.  I did everything over ssh and I really
didn't need speech except rarely.  Another thought I had is a serial
console.  That might be better for you since you wouldn't need ssh, could
access it from DOS, use hardware speech and I think D-I lets you install
that way.  That also gives you boot messages which you don't get with
software speech.