odd question?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Dec 14 11:07:29 UTC 2015

On 12/13/2015 3:13 PM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> what i was asking in a way you answered, that new  kernels, do not support
> hardware speech.

Yes and no.  Yes, standard Debian and Ubuntu kernels don't support serial
speech.  There are apparently patches for some kernels which allow them to
support serial speech, but they aren't officially supported and you'd have
to compile your own kernel.  I know of someone who is apparently using such
a kernel, but I haven't got around to applying the patch and compiling it.
Frankly, it's a pain to compile a custom kernel and often has little to no
benefit.

> In a totally different thread you indicated the need to compile  Linux with
> an old kernel, as in not  the current one, for hardware speech.
> I am asking to confirm this in case I must explain why I do not want a more
> current distribution with this Kernel problem.

No, you can run any distro with any kernel for the most part.  I'm running
Jessie with packages from testing while keeping my old 2.6.32 kernel from
Squeeze.  However, if your kernel is really old, you'll run into performance
issues and broken packages, like udev.  I can't run the latest udev from
Jessie because my kernel is too old, meaning I had to stay with an older
version that works.  It might be better in your case to compile a custom
kernel.  I think kernel 3.16 does support hardware speech with the patch
applied.

> Frankly the fact squeeze is about to stop being supported has no impact on
> how  I intend using this Linux box, assuming it ever gets off the ground.

Yes, it does.  If you don't get security fixes, you're leaving yourself wide
open to attacks and vulnerable software.  On a more practical level,
packages like Lynx don't get updated.  See above about running really old
kernels.  You'll have devices stop working and your system could become
unbootable.  For example, my USB card reader is really slow, probably
because of the old kernel and udev combination.  If you do upgrade to
Jessie, systemd is the default init and you'll be forced to upgrade your
kernel or go through a lot of extra work.  If you don't care about security
and just want a play box, it doesn't matter I guess.  The way I resolved it
is to do everything with ssh.  That way speech was no longer an issue and I
could upgrade my kernel.

> so to keep it simple, current kernels do  not support hardware speech any
> longer Is this right?

Yes, to keep it simple, official kernels no longer support hardware speech
even though the modules are shipped.  If I load the DECtalk Express module,
the system locks up.  I've tried with several different kernels, both 32-bit
and 64-bit.  Apparently someone did get it to work, but I've not been able
to reproduce it.