removing speakup from memory?

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sat Jan 24 19:10:13 UTC 2015

Karen Lewellen wrote:
> what is the keystroke  for leaving Linux basically to shut down the
> computer?
> Unlike DOS, i understand you cannot just turn off the machine.

Hi Karen,

You're not supposed to power off the machine, but by default
the file systems now have journaling on and can recover well.

When my notebook hangs, I do power off, generally without
consequence.

Of course, proper shutdown is preferable, to tear down
services in an orderly way and ensure the file
system write all its buffers to disk. I use:

shutdown -h now

Best of luck (and hopefully enough preparation) that
everything goes well.

Joel

--
Joel Roth