results of my try.

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Wed Jan 28 04:25:59 UTC 2015

I don't think this is the only problem from the errors you got, but shouldn't you have been doing these commands "ifconfig" and "shutdown" as root rather than as your user? Also, ~# is for root and ~$ is for a normal user but what is ~s for? Maybe I missed the post that explained more about what you are doing? But in debian you would usually do shutdown -h as root and you would need a further designation such as now if you want it to shut down immediately. An ifconfig command would also usually be done as root. Also, are you sure that your ethernet card works and is recognized by your debian installation? If the card wasn't recognized or a module was needed for the ethernet card that you don't have loading, I think you might get that error. I admit I hadn't really noticed or been following this thread so what I am writing may be something you already know or your setup may be different than I think it is, but I am a debian user.

--
Cheryl

"Move forward by looking back!
"Above all, fear the Lord
and worship Him faithfully with all your heart;
consider the great things He has done for you."
(1 Samuel 12:24 (HCSB)