results of my try.

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Jan 29 04:51:49 UTC 2015

Tim,
You skipped the obvious and most likely.
that the person who installed debian on this drive left out the network
option
all together.

First, as I have been working with computers since 1988, I know that it is
best to  be certain a card is not loose  before testing.  that is why
I used
my own  regular Ethernet cable, giving me a chance to check the card.
This machine was not shipped anywhere by anyone.
Instead, it was built by the electrical engineer friend of mine who
maintains my  main computers.
The person who did this install  considered themselves solid in debian and
speech, put the console structure on a hard drive complete with root and
user passwords,   and shipped it to me here from Florida.
  i assure you
that my computer builder here, as a former IBM employee, and a present
one of
motherboard manufacture amd,  knows how to configure an Ethernet card.
Lord if we can configure USB for dos printing and external drives, a bios
is child's play.

Equally it would be almost impossible for Linux not to have a driver for
this card,  it found everything else in the box when the drive
was installed,  even the modem shows up.
Additionally, I  suspect the card is a name brand, so it likely starts as
your command indicates.

You may not have noticed the comments from others about the odd nature of
the  bash line presented.
  As I have said many many times, I have little  direct knowledge   of
Linux.  I
prefer the  efficiency of in person training  and installations, not
materializing here in Toronto.
Still even I was surprised when my  associate shared the line she was
getting, the one with my name.
Granted freebds  clearly works more efficiently then Debian, even Ubintu,
in my personal
experience, but that does not look like any bash line I have ever
encountered.
As for no rush, perhaps.  The only motivation I have  for creating a ssh
TELNET door into that box is to run a very few programs music wise that I
cannot find yet  in  DOS.
Still if I did not consider that composition project to be critical, I
would not have tested the Linux box for ssh TELNET whatsoever.
  Given this install of Debian  has issues, and I have not located first
hand  debian wisdom I may just dump the   present install totally.  the
hardware
in this box is of too good a quality to be wasted with  a poorly
configured structure.
If I can find an edition of AbC Notation for Dos, to go with some recent
dos music programs, then I will just replace debian with a real, for me at
least, operating system.
I still think trying freebds  might have been fun, but there is no compile
that I can find of the software I am interested in running for music work
in freebds.
If I have no other real composition options but Linux, then I will try one
possible door.
Toronto has a 2600.org chapter.  The uniqueness might interest someone
there, or I can dump what is here and participate with help in installing
just enough Linux for my needs.
  Thanks for checking in,
frankly, I have serious doubts about how the install was done, but getting
forthright information is far from forth coming on the debian main list.
I do appreciate what this person tried to do.  My own install efforts on
yet another computer were totally disastrous, fortifying my desire for
in person help only.
Still I am not the tinker type.  I respect that such things interest
others, but I have businesses to run, and music to render into copyright
ready form.
Kare