perl version failures

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Jul 2 14:08:18 UTC 2015

Hi Jude!

See below for my reply.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 06:30:28 -0400 (EDT)
Jude DaShiell <jdashiel at panix.com> wrote:

> For other distributions of Linux if they haven't yet upgraded to the
> version of perl archlinux is now distributing, you will do well to avoid
> it like the plague.  In all of the years I've used Linux, I never thought
> such a day as this would happen with perl.  Look for yourselves though.
> That system is so embedded in so many parts of Linux I can't very well
> remove and do a reinstall and even if I could, I can't guarrantee the
> current problems would disappear or get worse.

There's nothing particularly wrong with perl-5.22.0 - it is well tested, of
good quality, and works well for most people. Note however that like
previous versions, it implies a breakage of the internal XS API, which requires
Perl/XS packages to be rebuilt. Looking at your problems:

[Astrlog output snipped]
> [jude at athame1 ~]$ perldoc perl
> /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup
> error: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/auto/Encode/Encode.so: undefined symbol:
> Perl_xs_apiversion_bootcheck

Encode and List::Util are core modules and should have been upgraded with
the perl interpreter. Perhaps you installed other versions of them from CPAN
which should now be deleted.

Please run "perl -V" and let me know which directories in the Perl @INC contain
the Encode.pm and List/Util.pm files.

> For the not too distant future I'm going to have to return the hard drive
> to bare metal status then reinstall the operating system.

That still sounds drastic and unnecessary.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish