archlinux: reinstall

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon Jul 13 15:08:57 UTC 2015

On July 13, 2015, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> using archlinux, did you find out how to get a listing of all
> software installed on a system?

You should be able to use

  pacman -Qqen > installed_packages.txt

you can the copy/move that file in a directory that you won't
overwrite (such as your $HOME if it's on its own partition, or an
external drive)

> When I do a reinstall, I want to be able to have all packages
> installed on the new system that were on the old system before
> reinstallation.  I may end up writing a script and have the script
> do the post-installs for me before I do the reinstall.

If you have the package-list generated above, you can use

  pacman -S $(< installed_packages.txt)

to re-install the same packages that were previously installed.

-tim