bash operation question

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Sun Jul 19 15:23:29 UTC 2015

When using tab completion in bash, sometimes more than a single
possibility arises if there are say two or more paths starting out with
the same prefix.  If I hit escape twice when this happens, I get a list of
those possible choices displayed.  To select from one of those choces, do
I need to key in the whole choice from the beginning of the path or can I
key in enough letters to uniquely identify my choice after that list
displays?  I tried search inside man bash for list completion and did not
find this material though a long time ago I was looking for something else
and stumbled on this material in that man page.