a *very* odd question especially for me.

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Thu Jul 23 17:36:04 UTC 2015

Karen Lewellen wrote:
> I am a professional singer.  When I perform I use real musicians, not their
> electronic equals which means I require arrangements for them to play.
> I am writing a grand deal of material these days, and if I am going to get
> that material recorded  I must do the following.
> 1 get the parts out of my head and into sheet music form, most likely using
> a well outfitted keyboard instrument's for part of the job.
> 2 confirm via playback that what I have done will sound when played as
> desired.
> and 3. get the material printed, or into printable form.

Hi Karen,

You can record and play music easily enough, however even if
you record your music as MIDI, it's not simple to transform
it into Lilypond code. To the point that even though some
utilities are available, I see comments that it's a lot of
trouble to the point that it's easier to input manually.

Denemo and Frescobaldi are two GUI applications that output
Lilypond code.

There are other notation languages for Linux, however the
problems in converting MIDI files to a score will be
similar.

Running commands in Linux via ssh is the same as running
them directly on a terminal. Once you know what
commands/applications you want to run and with what
arguments, making a script to do so is relatively simple.

Joel

--
Joel Roth