a *very* odd question especially for me.

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Fri Jul 24 04:40:52 UTC 2015

Karen,

Do you have and use drive sleds?  If so, and you have a spare hard drive
with nothing on it of reasonable size for your chosen operating system
you could do any install attempts on that spare drive and any failures
would not effect your main or original operating system.  Best situation
if you don't have drive sleds is to have the internal hard drive removed
and have a drive sled installed.  When your original operating system in
in that single drive sled it's just as things were before.  When you
remove that to install a linux on another drive, and put the original
disk in a safe place whatever is done only happens on the linux disk.
Drive sleds turn hard drives into huge removeable floppy drives.  In the
united States a drive sled is likely to cost about $25.00 so they're not
as expensive as high end luxury goods.  If you want to search for these,
newegg is a good place and if you have a desktop/tower computer with an
ide drive you want to search for desktop ide sata drive sled to find
them.