a *very* odd question especially for me.

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jul 24 11:28:12 UTC 2015

On 7/23/2015 2:25 AM, Rob Harris wrote:
> The key bits of this are, if you can telnet/ssh into a Linux box, you have
> shell scripts, I think they're just called something.sh and thus, run like a
> bat file would.

Not quite.  First, they don't need any extension, provided the execute bit
is set.  Second, shell scripts have a very different syntax than batch files
and are vastly more powerful.

> PERL, even PHP could do a ton of this and you could run those via web access
> instead.  I have PHP stuff I run remotely this way.

Yes, but perl is not friendly for the beginner and generally is more
complicated for a one or two line script.  Running things on the web like
you suggest is generally a bad idea and a huge security risk.  In the case
of the video upload script, it requires a user and password to actually
upload and it's running over https.