a *very* odd question especially for me.

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jul 24 11:43:32 UTC 2015

Unless I'm mistaken, the distro for music is more for interactive music
production.  I think maybe the poster meant Ubuntu Studio.  In that case,
it's a graphical environment designed for audio production as I mentioned.
That is overkill for what you need.  Debian, Slackware, RHEL, etc most
likely have the packages you need for Lillypond.  You obviously don't need
or want a graphical environment.  Regarding sound, that's a totally separate
discussion.  I guess what I'm wondering is why you need a dedicated Linux
box at all when almost any decent shell account should be able to do the
same thing if it has Lillypond installed.  You could maybe even generate
audio files from the music without a sound card, but I am not that familiar
with Lillypond.  I know you can generate MIDI files this way.