a *very* odd question especially for me.

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Jul 24 20:56:59 UTC 2015

Some responses below in line ...

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2015, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> How scriptable is Linux?

Eminently scriptable. You can script in any Linux shell. I recommend bash. You need to learn how to use a text editor like emacs or vim.

Then, start your bash scripting education with:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

> In the DOS operating system one could create .bat files that managed
> several tasks with a single file.
> the autoexec.bat file is a good example.
> You can create them with a text editor, no major complex commands
> required.

Your linux equivalents, if your shell is bash, will be files like:

.bashrc
.bash_profile or perhaps .profile

Note the leading dot. It's important.

> If Linux has this ability, and I would be surprised if it did not,
>here is
> the situation.
> I am a professional singer.  When I perform I use real musicians, not
> their electronic equals which means I require arrangements for them to
> play.
> I am writing a grand deal of material these days, and if I am going
>to get
> that material recorded  I must do the following.
> 1 get the parts out of my head and into sheet music form, most likely
> using a well outfitted keyboard instrument's for part of the job.
> 2 confirm via playback that what I have done will sound when played as
> desired.
> and 3. get the material printed, or into printable form.

The linux application for creating printed musical scores is called
Lilypond.

Lilypond prints beautiful scores. Or, so I'm told when I've printed
lilypond files.

Lilypond will also generate midi files so that you can listen to what
you've composed.

Lilypond is driven by straight forward  ASCII text files. So, here
again, your text editor, be it emacs, vim, o whatever, is all you need.
If you can learn to write them correctly, you can generate printable
scores, and pass them out as paper printouts, or .ly or .pdf files. And,
you can generate midi files, as noted.

Lilypond is not trivial to learn, of course, because it's a powerful
notation tool, and denoting all the particulars involved in musical
scoring via words is not trivial.

Learn about lilypond at:
http://lilypond.org

Lastly, the Mutopia Project publishes Lilypond scores. You can retrieve
these scores on their web site and examine the .ly files directly.
Mutopia has simple scores of hymns and folk songs, as well as entire
symphonies by Brahms and Beethoven.

Find Mutopia at:
http://www.mutopiaproject.org

> Now, I know there are allot of  command line programs in Linux
> distributions that can  accomplish my goals.
> The problem for me is getting the Linux side of the computing functional,
> or at the very least, a way for me to ssh telnet into a box using my dos
> setup to run the programs themselves.

Setting up linux with a sound card and lilypond, plus a network
connection isn't rocket science. It's trivial. You can ssh in, or you
can use Speakup directly.

> Yes there is a question here!
> assuming I could get the computer hardware with the kind of quality
> soundcard to Handel the multiple-track playback, is it possible to do the
> following.
> 1, is Linux distribution is installed correctly in the first place, ssh
> telnet  into that machine from my main one and
> 2, using  scripting , assuming this can be done simply, create a set of

Now, Karen, you're going wrong, like I recall you always going wrong.
You're making up how things work, and that's not how they work at all.

Scripting has nothing to do with learning and using Lilypond.

> .bat file equivalents to run the various  programs I need from the
>command
> line?

Wrong. That's not how things work.

> The other major hardware involved is no hardship.  I have a combination
> modem/rooter which works with both wireless and wired devices and
>multiple
> ports for the wired connection.
> I share that because I know even if I am not running anything directly
> from the Linux computer itself, it does need an Ethernet connection of
> some kind generating some kind of ip for me to use for the ssh -telnet.
> again the idea is to do well basically what I do here for shellworld, and
> with other services.
> treat this box like a shell, ssh TELNET into it,  run the scripts
>for the
> music programs I desire, and leave.  The box will not  even need
>speech as
> I plan to use it.
> Possible at all?

Of course. Again, it's trivial.

For that matter, you could probably do your Lilypond on shellworld,
though you'd have to download any midi files you generated to hear them.

Janina