a *very* odd question especially for me. Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jul 28 21:47:01 UTC 2015

Thanks for the great post, Martin.

I agree with you that finding just the commands one needs to solve some
particular problem niggling one's mind is the way to learn to script.
The TLDP bash guide I cited is good, but rather dry and dull when
compared to solving a real world issue. After all, it rather formally
begins with stdio and stderr, not all the useful to manage the shopping
list, I think!

I've responded, therefore, to offer two additional strategies I employ
when solving some problem in scripting. Because I, too, prefer the
solving problems approach over the formal study approach.

I often start with, or use early on, another TLDP document, Mendel
Cooper's  "Advanced BASH Scripting Guide:"

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

I find simply trolling the Table of Contents suggests coding approaches
that may be useful. I usually find the early explanations and examples
all I really need.

The second approach I've found very fruitful is googling with the word
"bash" and some key phrases for the kind of thing I'm trying to do, or
the kind of error I'm encountering. There's lots of useful discussion
archived and available on line.

I love scripting. It's fun, and it solves problems for me.

Janina