Nano 2.4.0 problem

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sun Jun 7 19:47:11 UTC 2015

On June  7, 2015, Tony Baechler wrote:
> 2. Upgrade to nano-tiny 2.4.1 and hope I don't need the fully
> featured version of Nano.

Just so you know what you'd be missing, nano-tiny lacks the following:

 - the mini file-browser when writing files
 - the help function
 - the justify/unjustify functions
 - mouse functionality
 - setting the operating directory
 - tab completion
 - long-line wrapping
 - marking of code and cutting to the end of line
 - the function-toggles for those above options

If you already know your way around nano, the lack of help shouldn't
be much of an issue.  The lack of tab-completion, long-line wrapping
or marking/cutting seem like the make-or-break features if you use
them.

> 3. Ditch Nano entirely.  I'm leaning more and more toward the
> later.  Does anyone here have any suggestions?  Please don't
> suggest vi, emacs and clones.  I'm not interested in either one of
> those and there are lots of clones of both if I want to go that
> route.

I'm a big advocate of vi/vim since it's what I use and it's everywhere
(I don't have to install it). Others speak highly of emacs, but
it sounds like you've considered both and don't want to go down
either road.  There are other editors out there though.  I've
recently seen buzz about Slap

  https://github.com/slap-editor/slap

which touts itself as "like Sublime Text, but in a terminal window".
I haven't had cause to try it, but it sounds promising to those who
don't care for the complexities of vi/vim or emacs.

There's also "ne" (which reading later in the thread, you've tried),
"joe", "jed", "the", "lpe", and "jupp" which come to mind.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention ed, ex, or edbrowse which might
play better with a screen-reader or braille output.  But they're a
lot more obscure as editors go.  I have a soft spot for ed & ex, so
would be glad to answer questions you have there.  I haven't used
edbrowse, but understand it's similar to ed only with more
functionality.

Also, if you broaden your options to GUI editors, others might be
able to speak to accessibility there.

-tim