datamash program

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed Mar 25 12:32:33 UTC 2015

Hi Jude [and all],

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 07:37:28 -0400 (EDT)
Jude DaShiell <jdashiel at panix.com> wrote:

> It's for command line users and you pass it tab delimited text files and
> ask it to do statistical calculations on the contents of those files.  I
> tried doing standard deviations with emacs and org-mode and couldn't
> figure out how to make that happen so it's nice that datamash works.

There's also stdev by Tom Christiansen:

*
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9789806/command-line-utility-to-print-statistics-of-numbers-in-linux

*
https://bitbucket.org/shlomif/shlomif-computer-settings/src/04cdfe5b0eee641885bd30fd5c891dd6dfb7f1d8/shlomif-settings/home-bin-executables/bin/stdev?at=default

> Command line users of linux on many distributions have been restricted to
> sc or variants and teapot for spreadsheets and those can't do this kind of
> work.  psql and mysql can't do standard deviations either.

psql can:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-aggregate.html

See "stddev_samp" and "stddev_pop" .

> php may be a
> solution, but that involves learning another language.

PHP for command-line work? That sounds wrong (not that PHP is a good language
even for writing server-side web code). Perhaps use Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua,
Awk, etc. or Something like R. I should note that I'm maintaining this Perl
5/CPAN module for some basic statistical calculations:

https://metacpan.org/release/Statistics-Descriptive

There are plenty of others like that for Perl and similar languages and
learning a language like that is useful for many other use-cases.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish