brltty depends on ubuntu-mate-desktop

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 2 13:39:16 UTC 2015

Actually, I figured it out. It seems rather obvious now but the problem
is that ubuntu-mate-desktop depends on brltty, not the other way around.
If you type 'dpkg -p ubuntu-mate-desktop', it shows both brltty and
brltty-x11 listed as dependencies. So the fact that brltty-x11 depends
on brltty isn't really the issue.

The problem with uninstalling the meta package is that it's going to
give you a whole list of other packages that are no longer needed and
suggest that you uninstall  them with auto-remove.  That's a PITA. I am
kind of surprised the developers of the ubuntu-mate-desktop package
agreed to it. You'd think a lot of people would wonder why you can't
uninstall brltty w/o removing the ubuntu-mate-desktop package. That's so
counter-intuitive that at first I thought it must be a bug.

And it turns out that the problem with brltty is that it doesn't start
via 'service brltty start' on my system. I'm not running a vanilla
ubuntu desktop. I am sure it has something to do with this systemd
versus upstart crap but I don't know if it was something I did or if it
just doesn't work in ubuntu 15.04.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim