debian from ethernet to wifi

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Sep 14 21:20:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> I'm using a command line environment on what is probably a limited size
> laptop and the only wpa_supplicant on debian is a gui package.  There's no
> command line version of that package.

I'm guessing it's wanting to install a bunch of graphical libraries, which
is why you're saying what you're saying.

wpasupplicant is not a GUI package and should install fine.  It does
depend on a couple of networking libraries but that's it.

What I suspect is happening is that it's also wanting to install wpagui
which *is* a GUI program.  This is a suggested package, and unfortunately
apt is configured to pull in recommended packages by default.

You can run the following command to turn this annoying feature off:

echo 'APT::Install-Recommends "false";'
>/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99disable-recommends

HTH,
Geoff.