Reading Kindle books on Linux

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 15 13:54:20 UTC 2015

Get Amazon to write a linux app?  I don't think that is practical. Maybe
somebody could sue them. But persuade them? Impossible.

Are you sure it's illegal for a blind person to break the DRM on a
kindle book? The Library of Congress puts out a list of exceptions to
the DMCA every 3 years.  Here is a link to an article that does a good
job of covering the exception on ebooks for people who use screen readers:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94238

If you are suggesting that it's unethical fora blindperson to break DRM
on an ebook, I strongly disagree with that. I can see that a difficult
legal issue could be created by saying a blind person can do that and a
sighted person cannot. Maybe sighted people should be allowed to do it
too. I don't have any opinion on that. But as an ethical issue, I sure
don't think there is anything unethical about a blind person breaking
DRM so he can listen to a book he legally owns on his choice of platform.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim