A question about dd

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Sep 18 11:25:07 UTC 2015

On 9/17/2015 8:47 PM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
> Hi!
> Does the dd command do a sector by sector copying of a harddisk?

Yes.  Did you read the man page?  There are many options worthy of
consideration, especially for faster copying.

> If so then one can do a backup of for example a windows partition with a damaged bootsector?

No.  Windows won't boot with a dd backup if there is more than one hard
drive.  I found this out from experience.  You need to edit the registry
before making the copy.  I can't direct you further as each case and Windows
version is different, so you'll have to try Google.