debian firmware disk bug

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Mon Sep 28 03:40:39 UTC 2015

I'm not reporting this bug since I don't even know where it should go in
terms of report-bug.  Also, you have to have the software installed to
report a bug on it since report-bug gathers information from hardware and
software settings.

Here's the interesting situation.
The debian testing disk correctly finds and configures a wifi adapter on
my amd machine which is a real amd athelon k8 northbridge machine.
However, hook that same adapter to my acer aspire 5003 notebook and put
the testing disk in and run it on the acer and very different results
happen.  We get down to network configuration and I get told about missing
firmware needing to be installed and supposedly get given the choice of
inserting removeable media with the firmware on it or not with numbers 1
and 2 respectively.  However it doesn't matter which number is hit or
whether no number is hit, you don't go beyond that point in terms of
installer execution and it is impossible to remove the dvd to insert
another.  Which means reboot time and don't use this on anything acer.
That's why they call this stuff testing though.