vbetool dpms off down't work on Fedora any more

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sun Apr 3 23:12:18 UTC 2016

On April  3, 2016, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> I allways used `vbetool dpms off' to disable the monitor on my
> laptop. After upgrading to Fedora 22, this command doesn't work any
> more.

Does "vbetool" exist but not work, or does it simply not exist at
all?  I'm a Debian guy so I don't have first-hand experience, but a
quick search suggests that "vbetool" was removed in/around F18:

  https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5255

While for CentOS6.6, I did stumble across these instructions for
building it from source:

  http://ask.systutorials.com/1420/how-to-install-vbetool-on-centos-6-6

which hopefully map pretty closely to what you'd have to do in Fedora.

-tim