Using $PROMPT_COMMAND to beep depending on success/failure

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Wed Apr 20 20:01:06 UTC 2016

Tim, thanks.  I have an application in mind for this.
What I've been doing so far to test network connected status was:
ping -c 5 www.google.com|grep %
That returns a line of output giving packet thruput statistics and if I
have 0 percent packet loss I know my network is up.  I just need to
figure out how to itegrate this.