Using $PROMPT_COMMAND to beep depending on success/failure

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Apr 22 16:51:34 UTC 2016

Some more options for testing network connectivity ...

ping -a

will beep the system for every returned packet. I find this so useful I
alias my ping command this way in bashrc.

Also, as Henry noted, using a specific IP address is probably a better
test, not just because it eliminates a step, but because that eliminated
step will also help you know your network is actually working when your
dns is failing. Sometimes named dies for me, and I find it helpful to
ascertain that my network is functioning except for that important
service--which I then simply restart.

Lastly, I find this kind of network pinging so useful, I've created two
scripts for myself in /usr/local/sbin, one called p4, the other called
p6. As you might guess, these ping a known server IP over IPv4 and IPv6
respectively. Quicker results for much less typing.

hth

Janina