Concerning Debian and ArchLinux

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 2 14:51:31 UTC 2016

To be fair to grml, it already has most of those things. You do have to
modprobe speakup_soft and then run espeakup to get speech. But brltty
comes up automatically if you have a braille display. The grml
developers have been very receptive to feedback over the years.

I am a little wary of a distro that does too much. The grml developers
pretty much treat accessibility like anything else -- they include it if
they can. In a way, that's a good approach because if it's too hard,
the enthusiasm for maintaining it is going to fade over time.

On the other hand, grml hasn't had a new major release in 2 years. On
the grml list, one of the developers implied that they were having
trouble with their next release because of the switch to systemd. But I
don't really know what is going on. It could be that the project is
running out of steam. This stuff tends to depend on a single person
driving the project. If that person has to move on for some reason, the
project fizzles.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org