Turning text into doc or rtf

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Wed Feb 3 16:24:33 UTC 2016

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> writes:

> Best approach I know is to author in latex, then convert as needed.

Yes, that's what I did for years, but if you don't want to learn latex,
there's a tool called pandoc that may do the trick.  It can be found at
http://pandoc.org.  I'll just paste its description into this message.
I'll just paste its description from the manpage into this message.

---begin quote---
Pandoc is a Haskell library for converting from one markup format to another,
and a command-line tool that uses this library.
It can read Markdown, CommonMark, PHP Markdown Extra, GitHub-Flavored Markdown,
and (subsets of) Textile, reStructuredText, HTML, LaTeX, MediaWiki markup,
TWiki markup, Haddock markup, OPML, Emacs Org mode, DocBook, txt2tags, EPUB,
ODT and Word docx; and it can write plain text, Markdown, CommonMark,
PHP Markdown Extra, GitHub-Flavored Markdown, reStructuredText, XHTML, HTML5,
LaTeX (including beamer slide shows), ConTeXt, RTF, OPML, DocBook,
OpenDocument, ODT, Word docx, GNU Texinfo, MediaWiki markup, DokuWiki markup,
Haddock markup, EPUB (v2 or v3), FictionBook2, Textile, groff man pages,
Emacs Org mode, AsciiDoc, InDesign ICML, and Slidy, Slideous, DZSlides,
reveal.js or S5 HTML slide shows. It can also produce PDF output on systems
where LaTeX or ConTeXt is installed.
--end quote---

-- Chris