oss instead of alsa. would this be simpler?

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Mon Jul 4 00:40:53 UTC 2016

Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:
> Hi.
> I tested to get the names of my card, and editing the asound file, but
> only got errors, so I had to remove it.
> my headset was simply named Headset.
> /Kristoffer

Two things you need to have: (1) sound output from your USB
headphones and (2) setting the USB headphones as the default
device.

You will start with something like this:

aplay -D <pcm_name> some.wav

Here is for the default device:

aplay -D default some.wav

Here is using PCM names from "aplay -L":

aplay -D hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 some.wav

aplay -D plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0

Before you can get sound output your USB sound device must accept input.
Then figure out audible volume settings. That can be done
from the terminal using amixer.

Sound cards tend to have lots of mixer settings.
This may list some headphone related settings

amixer | grep phone

you may need to add the -c flag to select the appropriate
card.

When posting, try to post the text of what  you did and what
results you got, to best help  your potential helpers!

cheers,

Joel

--
Joel Roth