how do I find out what's hanging me up?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 4 16:15:39 UTC 2016

If you can configure a serial console, you would be able to read those
messages. But I still say it's a process in an uninterrruptable sleep
which means the kernel can't kill it during a normal shutdown. That, in
turn, implies that it is a kernel bug in a device driver. In fact, I
will wager it's the driver for your sound card and the process that is
in an uninterruptable sleep is pulse. That's just a guess though.
If the machine is kind of old, it is very likely to have a serial port.
Then you need another computer and a null modem cable to configure a
serial console.  There is a really good serial console howto on the web.
No point in me reiterating all that. If you have never configured a
serial console before, you are not likely to have a null modem cable
lying around. But setting up a serial console is a valuable skill for a
blind linux sysadmin to have. You can even do a serial console install
of VMware ESXI.

PS: Thanks for the tip on tap tap see. I'd never heard of it before. I
am going to try it today. When I need to have a screen read to me by my
phone, I have been using the knfbReader app.