Editing Sound on the Fly

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Mon Jul 11 22:49:43 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

>From what you write, I think you want to extract interesting
parts of an audio file to another audio file, although you
could mean extracting parts of an audio *stream* to a file.

I looked at ecasound. I came up with a plan, but I think it
won't work because I don't see an easy way to append output to an
existing file.

Nama (which uses ecasound) is another possibility. Nama can
extract parts of an audio file, and has some special
features for that purpose. Basically, you drop marks in
pairs, create a sequence using the content between the
marks, and then export the desired audio via mixdown. Right
now you have to specify the list of marks to use, but we
might find ways to simplify that when dealing with large
numbers of marks.

regards,

Joel

Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	I am always looking for the easiest way to do things but
> am also aware of that quotation which goes "The lazy man works
> the hardest."
>
> 	I want to play a file which is usually 8-bit audio at
> a sampling rate of 8000 samples per second, sometimes called raw
> 8-bit audio. If I hear something worth saving, I would like to
> copy that part of the stream to a new file and then stop the copy
> when the good stuff has passed, just like dubbing from one tape
> recorder to another.
>
> 	I just installed ecasound as it should be able to
> accomplish this task but the question is will mplayer also do this?

> 	The idea is one listens, hears something interesting to
> save, starts the recording at the right time and then stops it
> after the gem has been saved while the master continues to play.
> If a new treasure comes by, start recording again and save that
> in the same new file or maybe a series of files depending upon
> what one wants.
>
> 	Thanks for any suggestions. This audio is radio traffic
> so it doesn't need to be high fidelity. One usually wants the
> most audio crammed in to the least space.
>
> Thanks for all good ideas.
>
> Martin WB5AGZ

Joel Roth