Editing Sound on the Fly

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jul 12 13:47:27 UTC 2016

Am I missing the obvious? Or is the obvious not stated in the
requirements?

What i mean is that by the time you hear something interesting, it's too
late to start recording. That part of the stream has passed.

In other words, you need to copy from a stream that's buffered by some
amount of time. What amount of time is whatever you judge to be a
sufficient interval of time in order to judge that something is
interesting. I believe radio stations typically use a 7 second delay
where they're taking live calls on air -- in order to edit out people
trying to say nasties on air. That kind of fifo buffer for the stream
should work here, too.

Of course, you have a similar problem at the end of "interesting
segment" You need to make certain you don't cut off the copy too soon.
So, either you brute force by waiting a compensatory of additional time,
or have some way to switch to monitoring the buffered recording in order
to know when to stop copying.

hth

Janina