Questions about setting up a new computer

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sat Jul 16 22:36:43 UTC 2016

Hi John,

If  you are working in the console, you won't generally need high
performance hardware.  If you compile a lot of software, or
do disk intensive work, a solid-state disk is nice. I notice
powerful processors make a difference in compressing video
and any scientific computing.

A big issue in new hardware is uefi vs BIOS booting.
And in that motherboards shipped with the microsoft
signed boot loading restrictions.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html

BIOS has been around a long time, and easy to deal with
in a linux environment.

Have fun,

Joel

Joel Roth