Questions about setting up a new computer

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sun Jul 17 22:27:02 UTC 2016

Hi John,

John J. Boyer wrote:
> How would I set up Debian so that it boots in command-line mode but I
> can start a desktop when I want it?

To keep access to  your console, do *not* install a
display manager such as xdm, kdm, or many others.
Log in as normal on the console. When you want to start X,
type startx.

You may like to be able to kill X when you want.
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is the traditional keycombination to
terminate X. To enable this, add the following text to the
.xsession file.

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

That's the place to disable the capslock function if you want to (CapsLock becomes Ctrl).

setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps

> Which desktop is most like Windows?

Can you be more specific about what you want
in a window manager?

gnome and kde are both huge worlds. I wonder if there
may be some accessibility advantages to the Qt toolkit
of kde. Perhaps someone has firsthand experience with it.

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/accessible.html

xfce has been considered the non-bloated DE, but that may
be no longer true. They are planning better accessbiility
in future.  They use Gtk+, same toolkit as Gnome.

http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/accessibility

What more do you need than an application launcher
or simple menu? That is icewm, which I setup for
my dad to use.

Do you need a file manager? Automounting USB devices?
probably xfce.

I personally prefer tiled window managers, use a key
combination to switch among applications that each get full
screen.  I don't like moving windows out of the way of each
other!

> Right now I have a new VGA monitor for work with sighted colleagues.
> Would this be enough?

There's a push toward HDMI by the media industries, but VGA
remains perfectly adequate.

You mentioned Debian. You may also be interested in
installing a fork of debian with a conventional sysv init
system. They are also interested in supporting accessbility.

http://devuan.org

hth!

Joel

Joel Roth