How did people here learn GUIs

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Tue Jul 19 02:13:06 UTC 2016

I learned Unix way before I touched any of its gui's.  The flavor of
unix my employer had was bsd and it had the learn utility operational.
I was able to go through many of those lessons and read man pages and
then got into a unix class.  Later me and some other members of the
penguin users group took about a year to figure it all out but I finally
got Redhat 5.0 installed and talking.  From there I tried out Slackware
(no longer a viable accessibility alternative) and then moved along to
debian.  I got help with the last two installations and the idea it
would be possible by listening to some of those main menu programs on
acbradio.  I did a little bit with orca while employed at home but have
had more time for it now I'm retired.  I also got into archlinux while
employed and still use that flavor of linux allbeit on a separate hard
drive.