How did people here learn GUIs

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jul 19 18:19:06 UTC 2016

Anders:

There used to be a title called Unix Explained. This is years ago, but
there's likely something like that out there still. I'd look on
BookShare and search for Linux.

My advice is to learn by focussing on tasks. And, you can use the prompt
to help you:

the command
apropos
provides pointers to relevant possibilities, e.g.
apropos browser

Also, man pages really do rock. Try:
man man -k
to get a listing by keywords of all the available commands. btw,
probably nobody knows all the commands. We use what we need.

Next, it's a matter of learning some console based apps to do certain
kinds of things. Some easy examples:

abcde is a great tool for ripping audio cd roms. It can give you wav
files, flac files, ogg files, etc.

lame will provide mp3 from wav originals

mplayer will play them, or streams from http urls, and optionally write
the stream to a file, etc., etc.

There are, of course, many more.

Janina