How did people here learn GUIs

Sam Hartman hartmans at mit.edu
Mon Jul 25 00:31:04 UTC 2016

>Cross-platform
    Kyle> developers will continue doing what they have always done,
    Kyle> which means running multiple OS's and building for each one
    Kyle> individually.

There are a lot of different types of cross-platform developers out
there.
Certainly there are some cross-development tasks where you have multiple
machines.
There are other situations where you cross-build or cross-develop.
The cross-platform landscape is quite complex.

Also, the native tools environment is more complex than you might think.

I was once sitting down with some Microsoft engineers debugging a
windows program.  These were folks who worked in a core Windows OS
group; the kind of folks who think the Microsoft command-line debugger
is a great tool.
(ntsd is one of those things that makes me long for the great UI of
gdb).
I was frustrated by the apparent lack of knowledge of Visual Studio.

"What do you use to write Windows code?

"Emacs," he said.  "Some people in our group use Notepad."
This was back in the day where you could get Microsoft fulks to turn
away and cover their eyes showing them a file header with a GPL
copyright.
The world, it is strage..