selecting desktop in vinux

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 04:32:08 UTC 2016

Here are some instructions I got from another list on setting up wifi in
either Mate or Gnome:

MATE:
Sonar Mate is Wi-Fi ready, but it cannot automatically connect to your local
network because it has to be set up. To do this
1.  Press Ctrl+Alt+Tab to navigate to the bottom panel
2.  Press Shift+Tab until you hear "No Network Connection" and press Enter
3.  Select the network you want to connect to. You'll hear helpful
percentages which tell you how strong the signal strength is, and whether
it's secured or not
4.  If the network requires a password, you'll get a prompt to enter it,
type your password and press enterThat's it. From now on Mate will auto
connect to that network when it's in range.

GNOME:
Sonar Gnome is Wi-Fi ready, but it cannot automatically connect to your
local network because it has to be set up. To do this
1.  Press Ctrl+Alt+Tab to get to the top bar
2.  Tab down to system, and press the right arrow to go into the System list
3.  Press the Down Arrow to "Wi-Fi Not Connected" Press right arrow, and
press Enter on Select Network
5.  Pick the network you want to connect and press Enter (Unlike Mate's
applet, gnome's won't tell you either the signal strength or whether it is
secure
6.  If the network requires a password, you'll get a prompt to enter it,
type your password and press enter
That's it, from now on Gnome will auto connect to that network when it's in
range.

Note that I consider Vinux to be real Ubuntu, it's just that someone
else already installed three desktops for me to try out, a bunch of
accessible applications, Speakup working in a console, Orca coming up
talking on the install media and a bunch of other things that I'd just
end up doing myself anyway.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail