resetting root password?

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Jun 8 05:26:59 UTC 2016

1.  If you can boot into single user mode, you do not need a password to
get up to there, then you can change things.
If you can boot off a talking linux USB or such, do the following:
1. mount your filesystem containing the etc directory.
2.  edit mountpoint/etc/passwd
3.  Change the line where root is defined, e.g.
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
to:
root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
So you remove the x or whatever is in that column.
4. Save the file, umount and boot normally.
5.  Login as root, it should have no password and just go in.
6.  use passwd root to give it a new password.

HTH, Willem