[pulseaudio-discuss] another reason not to like pulseaudio

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Mon Mar 7 22:57:11 UTC 2016

For the record I'm using talkingarchlinux http://talkingarch.tk/ and I
learned from a contact on another list that the espeak package which is
used by espeakup is the package that provides espeakup espeakup's audio
support.  Having downloaded the espeak package from the archlinux
community repository and gone into the source code for it, the package
is built with a Makefile.  The Makefile has provision for portaudio
pulseaudio and sata or sada.  Now the variable that gets assigned is
AUDIO and that assignment is uncommented on portaudio only for
talkingarchlinux which explains why I couldn't get off of the 3.5MM
speakers I think.  I uncommented the AUDIO = pulse and ran make on the
Makefile and got several warnings but no errors.  I don't know what will
happen once I do a sudo -H make install and then reboot though.  I think
I'll take precautionary measures and then try doing that tomorrow after
breakfast and coffee with the understanding the whole system could go
silent permanently.  It will mean I'll need to reinstall the system but
I have brailled instructions so I can do that pretty quickly in the
event this happens.  I tried switching sinks for sound and was given an
adjustment to have pulseaudio not remember the default sink when I boot
up so it ought to have to find a sink then use it but this hasn't yet
helped all that much yet.  I'll know more tomorrow and let everyone know
what happens over here when it will be possible for me to do so.  One
thing I managed to do was to find out the long name of the usb speakers
on my system the other day and I'll share that technique now.  I booted
into the system and had the 3.5MM speakers disconnected.  Everything was
silent after login.  So I ran speaker-test and had the static go over
the usb speakers.  I stopped the speaker-test utility and then did sudo
-H alsactl nrestore and sudo -H alsactl store.  Then as user I ran aplay
-l >speakers.txt.  Once done, I rebooted the system with the 3.5MM
speakers attached and examined speakers.txt and the usb speakers were in
that speakers.txt file so I checked pactl list sinks and got the same
name for the second sink.  Then I had something I could modify
/etc/pulse/default.pa with and for a little while when pulseaudio came
up running I was able to get vlc to play on the usb speakers.  The
pulseaudio doesn't always come up on this system for some reason and
sometimes when pulseaudio does not come up it can't be started either
it's as if pulseaudio is somehow jammed.  So that's what I got for now,
more later.