Backing up to a NAS

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Mar 9 12:03:36 UTC 2016

On 3/8/2016 8:17 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I recently purchased Networked Attached Storage (NAS) from Qnap. My
> Windows machine is being backed
> up by Acronis True Image. I would like to back up my Linux machine also.
> It is command-line only, Braille only. I have Debian jesie. What
> software can be used for backup and restore? Can I set up the NAS as a
> network file system?

I can't help with your second question, but you could try sshfs if it
supports ssh. You could also try rsync. If it doesn't support ssh, you can
install smbclient and mount.cifs. That lets you mount it like any other
filesystem. If you mount it under /mnt, you could still use rsync to copy
/home to /mnt. I don't remember the exact package name you want, but
"apt-cache search cifs" should find it. You'll probably need a password
and/or username on the NAS to actually mount it.