installing kali

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Tue May 10 02:39:42 UTC 2016

There's a little more you need to know about kali and it isn't good
either.
You probably grabbed the latest image and if so life will not be good.
The latest image is a rolling release image and what you want is the
release before the 2.0 release since that one wasn't a rolling release
image.
If you try installing with that earlier image or even with the rolling
release you'll hear a beep as the disks boot up, hit s then hit enter
and you'll have speech shortly.
The problem you're likely going to have with the rolling release is that
select packages item on main menu in the installer is completely broken
and needs a bug filed against it.  The install defaults if you select
nothing won't even install using select packages it's that bad.  This is
only true in the 2.0 and later releases not the 1.x releases.
Once you have one of the 1.x releases installed and working and are out
on the internet it will be possible in a terminal window as sudo root to
do apt-get dist-upgrade and transition into the rolling release.
I tried the rolling release install myself and found no iw package on
the system but iwconfig was on the system which is outdated so I
couldn't set up wireless internet connection after having finished what
I could of the install without select packages menu item working.  Kali
2.0 and kali 2.x is based on debian stretch and debian stretch provides
the buggy installer which is now not finalized either so the installer
is admittedly defective.  Sorry for the bad news, but maybe you can use
it to your advantage.