Orca & tbird issues

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 19:50:16 UTC 2016

Last time I tried Claws-mail, it didn't work with Orca. I think it was
about a month ago that I last tried it, but then again, my result was
the same as when I tried it probably 3 or 4 years ago, so my best guess
is that either the devs are not aware that there is a problem, or they
don't know how to fix it. The problem with gtk accessibility is that
everything can look right, but things still tend to go wrong, and having
personally dug into some gtk code that should have worked but was going
wrong, it can be near impossible to file bug reports to try to make devs
aware of these problems, and it can even be quite difficult at times to
know who should get the bug report, at-spi, Orca, gtk/atk or the
application itself. Many times I just put a bug report here and hope the
right person eventually sees it. There also may be some newer
documentation needed for how to make accessible gtk code work correctly
with Orca/at-spi, as I have read some reports of that documentation
needing an update, but many of us don't know things well enough at the
code level to update it.

All this said, I wonder how beneficial it may be to have an automated
test that devs could use to try to help determine how accessible their
applications are and where they can improve. Perhaps it could catch
things like custom widgets with no accessible role/label, an unspoken
list such as a message list in a mail client or a control that can't be
tab focused. Just a thought, but maybe it could work at least a little,
if something like this doesn't already exist. I know that we have
applications that can let someone know what is being spoken by Orca, but
an automated test, although it has the potential to completely blow up
over a false positive, maybe still could help. Just a thought.
Sent from Baltimore