Emacspeak and eSpeak

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Wed Oct 5 14:38:32 UTC 2016

Fernando Botelho <Fernando.Botelho at F123.org> writes:

> Would you or anyone you know be willing to help me put together a
> script that installs/configures Emacspeak and eSpeak on a Talking ARCH
> environment?

You can already build emacspeak from the AUR.  See:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/emacspeak
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/emacspeak-git (builds direct from a
git checkout).
You'll also need to build the tclx package from the AUR.  espeak will be
pulled in automatically from the official package repos when you install
the emacspeak package that you built.
All you really need to do to configure it is set the DTK_PROGRAM
environment variable.
export DTK_PROGRAM=espeak
in .bash_profile or wherever.
Want to set it system-wide?  Make a file /etc/profile.d/emacspeak.sh
containing that setting.
So in other words, the scripts to build an emacspeak package along with
the espeak server have already been written for Arch.

-- Chris