SV: Bones Milestone 3 Ace now has Lua support

Brian Olesen brian at blindkom.dk
Fri Oct 21 10:44:56 UTC 2016

Hi,
What is Lua and what can it do?

Brian

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: blinux-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:blinux-list-bounces at redhat.com]
På vegne af Paul Merrell
Sendt: 21. oktober 2016 11:12
Til: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com>
Emne: Bones Milestone 3 Ace now has Lua support

Hi, all,

I've just learned in some correspondence with its developer that Bones
Milestone 3 Ace now has Lua v. 5.3 embedded to script the device in its beta
firmware update. The firmware update is due to be released very soon. The
message from the developer:

"... we have Lua already in our product Milestone 312 Ace. It is a 5.3
implementation and works nicely. We will officially introduce this in a few
weeks, so that users know how to use it. Since our device works for blind
users, the re-directed the print() command to the synthetic speech, for
instance. Also, we have made nice library functions for input giving, since
ioread() might be difficult otherwise."

>From the product home page at <http://www.bones.ch/milestone312ace.php>:

Milestone 312 Ace - The Smart Assistant

The new Milestone 312 Ace is our masterpiece and your smart assistant for
organization and entertainment. It provides FM broadcasting, optional
WLAN-access and even lets you program your own games and applications. Any
task you throw at the Milestone 312 Ace will be output in flawless
CD-quality audio, thanks to its award-winning MP3-decoder. This device is
scheduled for a worldwide release in the fourth quarter of 2015.

* Stunning audio quality - experience one of the best MP3-decoders.

* DAISY-player also supports Audible, EPUB, NLS and Bookshare.

* Professional voice recorder for high-quality recordings. Ready for
recording in a mere 3 seconds, even if the device is still in sleep mode.

* Listen to content through your car radio or hi-fi system via the Milestone
312 Ace's FM broadcasting feature.

* Reliable, accomplished hardware, made of sophisticated electronic
components.

* 12 GB internal memory, actual capacity, expandable with SD- or SDHC-cards
of up to 32 GB.

* Clock, alarm, stopwatch and sleep timer.

* Software-Equipment: Thoroughly revised FM-tuner and agenda for staying
organized.

* Hardware-Equipment: Color detector "FaMe", barcode reader "Woodscan"

* Credit card sized, easy to operate - 6 buttons, weighs only 2 ounces.

* Powerful speaker, headphone-jack, gyroscope, high-speed USB interface.

* Programmable in LUA: Be creative and write your own games and applications
for the Milestone 312 Ace or check out what other talented users have come
up with. This feature is still in development and will be made available
through a future firmware update.

* Optional WLAN-card enables you to access files on your home network.
This hardware add-on is still in development and due for release in the
second quarter of 2016.

The Reference Manual for Lua v. 5.3 is here.
<https://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/contents.html#contents>.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]