Some dumb questions born of frustration

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Oct 27 14:10:28 UTC 2016

John J. Boyer writes:
> 1. What do i put in .bashrc to get a simple prompt of a dollar sign?

Try the following:

PS1="\\\$"

I'm sorry, I don't recall the logic of the triple backslash. I was only
able to find it for you quickly because I modified mine a long time ago
to show current time, as well as current user and directory. For
comparison, here's my bash prompt:

PS1="\u@\h \t \W\\\$"

> 2. I have set alias_file=mailaliases in muttrc. When I add an alias it goes to that file, but when I use it in the to
> line of a message it is not recognized.

Hmmm, sounds like some kind of code inconsistency in mutt. I believe
there's an irc channel where mutt developers hang out. You might want to
ask there. I believe you can get the server and channel info from the on
line mutt documentation pages.

All I can tell you is that I don't have that problem here. However, I
am using the default mutt file for aliases, ~/.mutt_aliases

> I've been reading man pages and documentation all day.

hth!

Janina