VI, Elvis, and NeoVIM

Fernando Botelho Fernando.Botelho at F123.org
Mon Sep 5 16:21:54 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I have gotten tired of my own typos and started researching text editors
with promises of extensive word completion features.

Emacs and Emacspeak seems to be too complex to install and configure. I
would like something that I might be able to use with a few days of
practice. I am not a developer.

Researching I have seen comments saying that VI and VIM are good, but
not screen reader-friendly. Supposedly Elvis is a version of VI that has
a blind-friendly mode, but it is not packaged natively for ARCH, and
their site seems less organized and less complete compared to others.

So i tried finding NeoVIM, and it is available for easy install in ARCH.
it also seems to work more or less well with the Gnome Terminal. I know
I know, best to use Speakup and the true terminal, but I am getting
there by stages.

Anybody here uses word-completion effectively with NeoVIM or VIM?  I
have done just very simple things so far, and it seems to work, but have
not gotten to word completion or other more advanced stuff.

All suggestions are welcome.

btw, I went looking for instructions on how to install speakup in my
kernel, and it all looked quite out-of-date. Any suggestions on that as
well?

Thanks much,

Fernando