Using sed to straighten quotes.

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon Apr 17 00:45:45 UTC 2017

While it *can* be done in sed, the solution requires visiting every
character and manually noting a transliteration, as well as doing
those changes for every input encoding that you can

You should have the `iconv` package on your system which will let you
specify the input/output encodings as well as force those characters
to be transliterated:

 iconv -f utf8 -t ascii//TRANSLIT input.txt > output.txt

which converts from (-f) UTF-8 encoding to transliterated ASCII.  If
your input is some other Windows code-page or other source, you can
change the "from" encoding to something other than "utf8" such as
"cp1252".

-tim