Blind vs. mainstream distros

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Apr 22 01:05:04 UTC 2017

My only concern with this argument is that it seems like it takes longer
to get fixes pushed up stream then it does to spin up a custom
distribution. It also seems to me that a lot of what's needed in a
custom distribution is packaging and customization as opposed to
programming.

I look at Vinux and Ubuntu as an example. It seems like Luke and the
Vinux developers were able to get a lot more accomplished in a lot less
time working with Vinux then they were able to do by trying to push
things upstream in Ubuntu. Focusing on getting changes upstream, when
there could have been a Vinux available, would have meant fewer blind
Linux users and some of those blind Linux users would have spent more of
their own time setting up and customizing Ubuntu and finding and
installing accessible applications. If you think vinux users are going
to just quit and give up when they run into a Linux issue, I'd think
that problem would be even more prevalent if they didn't have a Vinux
where a lot of the work was already done for them.

IMHO, I think a hybrid approach is the way to go. Build a custom
distribution, prove that it can work, build up your blind user base and
work to get those changes upstream. I know it seems like this is
spreading an already thin resource even thinner, but I think it's the
most likely road to success.

I also think that custom distributions is just part of the Linux
ecosystem. How many custom distributions are there out there to satisfy
every niche? I don't think this should be any different for the blind
Linux user.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail