Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Apr 23 22:49:42 UTC 2017

Again, I'm an absolute lightweight among programmers, but being open
source isn't the same as being portable, and even if NVDA was
objectively the best Windows screen reader, that wouldn't necessarily
mean it's devs would be able to apply any of their experience to
making a better Linux screen reader. As nice as it would be to have a
single screen reader application that would run on any OS on any
hardware with at most a recompile, the reality is probably closer to
needing platform specific optimizations to keep the system
requirements reasonable.

Granted, I could be wrong and the only reason there isn't a .deb for
NVDA or an install.exe for Orca is because no one's tried compiling
them outside their native environments, but if it was that simple, it
begs the question of why no one has tried compiling them.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.