Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 00:29:20 UTC 2017

*Does quick test* At least on my system, using ctrl+left square
bracket to go back a page in Firefox puts focus on the link that took
me forward, though I'll admit behavior isn't always consistent.

As for key bindings, I'm not sure a unified default would have much
benefit to the average user. Might make transitioning from Windows to
Linux easier, but the specific combination of applications the user
uses is likely to be a much more important factor regardless, and
changing the default of one program to match another could trip up
users used to the old default.

Personally, I'm in favor of customizable keybindings, ideally using a
plain-text config file that is human readable(making customization
easy for CLI junkies), an accessible gui for editing the
keybindings(to make customization easy for those who prefer GUIs), and
a trivial means of restoring the defaults(to make life easier for
those who screwed up trying to customize).

Now, if the devs of NVDA and Orca, and perhaps other graphical screen
readers could agree upon a unified keymap and fully implemented custom
keybindings, it might be a good idea for them to include presets such
as NVDA Classic, Orca Classic, JAWS, ZoomText, and Unified along side
the option to customize(Note: the inclusion of JAWS and ZoomText in
that list assumes IP law isn't crazy enough for proprietary screen
readers to claim ownership of their keybindings).

And if other blind users want to improve their ability to use an
interface that is designed with a mouse or touchscreen in mind, their
welcome to it, but until some technology that allows for truely
tactile interfaces becomes mainstream, I'm more interested in
accessibility advances that will free me from the GUI entirely.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.